Student loans consolidation is a respite for the students which help in combining and concentrating all types of loans together into one consolidated student’s loan. Student loan consolidation is usually done with federal student loans as the student loan consolidation rate offered by federal student loans is much lower than private student loans.
If students want to pursue higher education, often they need to think twice due to expenses involved. This is even more the case, if the student is already under debt for loan taken for his undergraduate degree. Student loans consolidation is a respite for these students which help in combining and concentrating all types of loans together into one consolidated student’s loan.
The costs are even more for students going out of station to pursue higher education as they need to spend substantial amount of money in other amenities. Student loan consolidation helps students to clear their student loan debts and revive their financial status. With the help of student loan consolidation, students are able to regulate their student loan debts and have a consolidate debt or combined debt. Debts like accommodation rentals, food, credit card debts, and education debts are all brought together and made into a consolidate debt.
Student loan consolidation is usually done with federal student loans as the student loan consolidation rate offered by federal student loans is much lower than private student loans. As most private student loan is not very cheap, a private student loan consolidation is usually replaced with one or more college loan consolidation. The benefit of consolidation is that it reduces the single monthly payment.
In the United States, federal student loans consolidation is done differently as federal student loans are ensured by the government of United States. In the case of federal student loans consolidation, all the current loans are bought and closed by a company handling student loans consolidation or by the Department of Education. The interest rates of the student loans consolidation is dependent on the student loan rate for the year which further is based on the 91-day Treasury bill rate. This student loan rates keeps changing from 4.7% to 8.25% or 9% for PLUS loans.
A fixed interest rate is set based on the then-current interest rate for the student loans consolidation. If the student wishes to reconsolidate the rates will not change. If different types of student loans and their rates are combined into a new consolidation student loan, then an average rate will be calculated based on the current interest rates of the different loans consolidated. Student loan consolidation can be useful to students’ credit rating.
Types of Student Loans Consolidation
There are two types of student loan consolidation:
• Federal student loan consolidation – all students’ debts are combined and bought by either a consolidation company or by the Department of Education. Here the loans can only be associated with federal institutions and not private institutions. There is no additional fees involved
• Private student loan consolidation – the dealings need to be done directly with a company involved in consolidation of private loans. Here the interest rates are higher than federal loans in spite of the monthly installments being lower. There is a higher student loan consolidation rate involved which prolongs for a longer period. There is additional fees involved for services offered by the companies offering these loans
Points to be kept in mind will Consolidating Student Loans
• Federal student loans can also be consolidated, but both federal student loans and private student loans should not be consolidated into a single student loan consolidation program.
• Similar to other debt consolidation loans, student loan consolidation payments should be done to a single lender who will pay the earlier creditors for all initial loans.
• For the student loans consolidation, the minimum balance should be about $5000 with a six months grace period after completion of studies or have already started repayment.
• Based on the balance of the loan amount, student loan consolidation should have an extended repayment period between 10 to 30 years
• The repayment plan should be able to balance the monthly payments and enable good credit rating
• Student loan consolidation should have the rate of interest of maximum 8.25 percent if it is for federal student loans.
• There are not additional charges involved in processing the student loan consolidation.
• After the consolidation is approved, it cannot be undone as the loan amount is already paid to the earlier creditors.